How Does Physiotherapy Help to the Treat Joint Stiffness
There are 360 working joints in the human body. The importance of these joints in the skeletal system is to give mobility to the bones. In the condition of joint stiffness, the patient feels that a certain joint of the body is seized leading to the restriction in the movement around that joint. There are numerous reasons why joint stiffness is caused. Some of the causes of this condition include arthritis, circulation problems, injury, age, etc.
Physiotherapy is one such treatment option that helps in the betterment of this condition. Physiotherapists not only treat but also help in the prevention of joint stiffness to be ever caused in a person. They accomplish this through various exercises and instructions for daily activities. In this blog, we will learn how physiotherapy can help to treat joint stiffness.
A general procedure that you will need to follow while getting your joint stiffness treated by physiotherapy
- At the time of first meeting your physiotherapist, your practitioner will ask you to state your condition and symptoms that are bothering you.
- You should focus on describing the symptoms of your joint stiffness as clearly as possible to them and point out to the affected area of your body.
- Your physiotherapist will then ask about the time period for which you have been experiencing this condition. Also, they will enquire about your previous history of disorders related to joints or bones.
- The first step of diagnosis in this procedure will be the physical examination of your body. Your physiotherapist, in this step, will perform an evaluation of joint movements in your body to locate the origin of your joint stiffness. They will also focus on knowing the cause of any symptom attached to your condition.
- The second step of diagnosis after the complete evaluation of your body will be planning a suitable treatment for your condition of joint stiffness and its symptoms.
What are the treatment options in Physiotherapy that can treat joint stiffness?
The treatment that physiotherapy offers for a particular patient heavily depends upon the cause of the condition. So, diagnosis of joint stiffness is as important as the treatment in physiotherapy to reduce the symptoms of joint stiffness and prevent this condition to be exaggerated. Some of the treatment options, from which a suitable treatment is chosen for a patient, are as follows:
Therapy with manual techniques: In this type of physiotherapy joint manipulation and mobilization techniques are used. In these techniques, the affected joint is given a highly calculated thrust in which the velocity, amplitude, and direction of the thrust are measured. Also, in joint mobilization, certain movements in the joint are passively done. Manual therapy is given to the patient with the aim of restoring the movements of the joints and reducing the pain in them.
Soft tissue treatment: In this method of treatment, the soft tissue affecting the joint is assessed and treated by massaging that area with hands. It is done with the aim of reducing the pain by stimulating better circulation in that area
Dry needling and Acupuncture: In this treatment option, certain specialized needles are used to relax the knots in the muscles and release some chemicals such as endorphins which act as healing agents. By the method of acupuncture and dry needling, certain “trigger” points in the body are stimulated to relieve the joints from pain and tightness.
Therapeutic Ultrasound: The use of sound waves to travel through the region of disorder in the body is known as Therapeutic Ultrasound. The sound waves which travel through one’s body cause vibrations in the organs. These vibrations help in the generation of heat in the joints and thus relieve the patient from pain.
Exercises to relieve joint stiffness
Apart from the above-mentioned treatment options, some exercises prove to be effective for joint stiffness. Your physiotherapist will assist you to maintain your form and balance throughout a particular exercise. Some of these exercises are
- Shoulder rolls
- Side bending
- Hip swinging
- Stretching your thighs
- Rolling hips
Joint stiffness can bother you in performing ever the menial daily activities. It is important that you choose the best treatment option for your condition. You can find the best physiotherapist for joint pain and joint stiffness if your conduct a survey based on results.
At Om Physio Plus Nutrition is the best physiotherapy clinic in Ahmedabad, you can confirm these results from our patients as we have the top physiotherapist in Ahmedabad.